Bihar farmer becomes Nepal`s leading arms dealer
Kathmandu: A 34-year-old farmer from India`s Bihar state who found that guns were the best "cash crop" and became Nepal`s leading illegal individual arms dealer has been arrested, police said Friday.
Hira Mishra, a struggling farmer in Bihar`s Sitamarhi district, became a flourishing arms dealer, smuggling firearms from India to Nepal across the porous border and selling them at NRS 90,000-100,000 per piece.
The Indian national was arrested from Kathmandu Thursday with police recovering an American pistol, a Chinese gun and several rounds of ammunition.
Police said Mishra operated on his own, without being affiliated to any armed groups.
His method of operation was simple - to buy guns from different places in India, where they were as cheap as NRS 10,000 and sell them in Nepali districts along the Indian border as well as in the capital city itself.
The arrested gun dealer reportedly told police he had been supplying arms to customers in Nepal for almost five years.
He said his clients varied from men who wanted simple country-made guns to those seeking more sophisticated submachine guns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill