Bihar flood toll rises to 166
Patna: The flood situation aggravated in Bihar with the toll mounting to 166 even as 5.9 million people spread over 20 districts have been displaced by surging water, according to a disaster management department report on Wednesday.
Altogether 166 people have been killed due to worsening flood situation in Bihar, while 5.9 million people have been displaced in 20 districts, the report said.
The river Ganga is in spate in Khagaria district where Gogri and Narayanpur embankments have been breached by up to ten meters flooding 21 villages of four panchayats, it said.
The restoration and strengthening works on the embankments were underway on war footing, the report said.
In Arwal district, 30 people survived by swimming to safety after a country-made boat ferrying them capsized in Punpun river in Ibrahimpur village under Kinjar police station, it said.
There were no report of any casuality in the incident, the District Magistrate Kunwar Jung Bahadur said.
In Begusarai district, nine persons swam to safety after a boat carrying them capsized in the river Ganga in Narailipur village under Balia police station area, a report said.
Meanwhile, the Water Resources Department (WRD) minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary held a high-level meeting to review discharge of water from the catchment area in Nepal and heavy rainfall in the riverine area near the river Ganga.
Principal Secretary (WRD) Arun Kumar Singh inspected status of embankment near Punpun river and directed the engineers to activate anti-flood sluice canal to discharge water from Pahari Nalla, Khanua Nalla and Badshahi Nalla areas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference