Bihar flood toll rises to 201
Patna: The toll in the devastating floods in Bihar rose to 201 Monday, said an official of the state disaster management department.
Nearly seven million people have been affected in the floods in 20 districts.
"So far, floods have claimed 201 lives, even as waters are receding in all major rivers in the state," the official said.
Officials said crops in over six lakh hectares worth crores of rupees have been destroyed and road communication has snapped at several places.
Last week, the Met Office warned of heavy rain and cloudburst-like situation in districts bordering Nepal in the second week of September.
The government has already sounded an alert in the vulnerable districts and asked district magistrates and superintendents of police to maintain vigil and take precautionary measures to tackle any eventuality, said Arun Kumar Singh, principal secretary in the water resources department.
The state government has requested the National Disaster Management Authority to send three companies of the National Disaster Response Force for emergency rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!