Bihar floods: 160 people killed, 5.4 million people affected
Patna: As many as 160 people have died and 5.4 million others affected due to floods in Bihar this year, a disaster management official said on Tuesday.
The Disaster Management Department Officer on Special Duty (OSD) Vipin Kumar Rai said that as many as 20 districts of Bihar have been affected with floods of which the river Ganga has wreaked havoc in ten districts like Patna, Bhojpur, Buxar, Saran, Bhagalpur, Katihar, Vaishali, Begusarai.
The Disaster Management Department has provided compensation to the kins of victims of floods, while the affected people have been shifted to safer places, he said.
Relief and rehabilitation works have been launched on war footing and one quintal foodgrain provided to each family in 20 flood-affected districts, Rai said, adding till date 2.9 lakh quintal foodgrain has been distributed among the affected people.
Besides, Rs 1,500 cash has also been given to all affected family, the OSD said, adding Rs 24.32 crore has been distributed among the flood-affected people till date.
A total of 50,550 polythene sheets have been distributed among the flood-affected people, while 2,799 boats pressed into service for ferrying the affected people from one place to another, he said.
Teams of state disaster response force and national disaster response force have been deployed to bring the flood-affected people to safer places, Rai said.
With regard to flood situation in Patna, he said the situation was under control and being monitored at the level of the chief secretary on day-to-day basis.
A safety wall has been created from Nasriganj to Ranighat, while 20 sluice gate and porous points at 130 places have been sealed to prevent flood-water from spreading to the state capital, he said.
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017