Bihar floods: 190 people killed, Nitish makes aerial survey
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Friday conducted aerial survey of 12 inundated districts to take stock of the situation arising out of flood which has claimed 190 lives so far in Bihar.
Returning from the survey, the CM told reporters that the state government has readied all arrangements to meet the challenge of heavy rains next week in Nepal and North Bihar forecast by Meteorological department.
Accompanied by Principal Secretary Disaster Management, Vyasji, the CM took round of 12 flooded districts by air. These were Patna, Samastipur, Begusarai, Khagaria, Munger, Lakhisarai, Bhagalpur, Katihar, Bhojpur, Saran, Vaishali and Buxar.
Kumar said water level of swollen Ganga river was receding.
He also said that nearly 60 lakh people were affected by the flood.
Kumar said relief was distributed among the marooned on a war footing. Relief camps have been set up in the affected areas and necessary items like foodgrains were given to the victims.
The Chief Minister said he talked to the collectors of all the districts on the shore of the Ganga and gave them necessary instructions.
The Bihar CM said that he himself would review flood relief and rehabilitation work and prepare a report on damage to be sent to the Centre.
He said flood relief work was carried out under Disaster Management law in which 75 per cent of the cost was borne by the Centre while state`s share was 25 per cent.
Meanwhile, a report from Disaster Management Department said that 190 people have lost their lives in the flood across the state so far.
The highest toll of 30 people was reported from Purnea district while the casualty was 26 in Bhojpur and 21 in Munger, it said.
The report said that nearly 4 lakh animals were affected in the floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India