Bihar floods: 76 dead, 77 lakh people affected
Patna: Altogether 76 people have lost their
lives in floods spread over 23 districts in Bihar since June
this year, State Disaster Management department secretary
Vyasji said on Thursday.
About 77.40 lakh people were affected by the floods which
inundated over 2060 villages this year, Vyasji said.
Sixty-eight thousand people were evacuated to safer
places by Disaster Response Force personnel and others during
the floods which had so far damaged standing crops worth over
Rs 56 crore, he said.
A total of 14,884 houses, the value of which was
estimated to be Rs 17.49 crore and public property worth Rs
25.78 crore were also damaged by floods this year.
Vyasji further said that 176 relief camps were opened in
the flood affected areas where 20893 flood-hit people took
shelter, he said.
He said that the state government have so far distributed
2,51,243 quintals of foodgrains and Rs 6.24 crore in cash
among the flood-hit people.
Recently NDRF teams evacuated 1132 people, trapped in
flood water of river Sone following rise in its water level in
Aurangabad, Rohtas and Arwal districts recently, to safer
places, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet