Bihar floods: Rivers recede, over 2 lakh affected
Patna: The overall flood situation in Bihar
eased on Tuesday with rivers Sone and Ganga receding even as over
two lakh people continued to reel under the recent spell of
floods in different districts of the state.
The water level of Ganges receded though the river
continued to flow 44 cm and 36 cm above the danger mark at
Gandhi Ghat (Patna) and Hathidah, respectively.
Similarly, the Sone too maintained receding trend but the
river was still flowing 44 cm above the danger mark at Maner
in Patna district, a Central Water Commission report said.
Rohtas, Aurangabad, Saran and Bhojpur districts have been
severely affected by the floods.
Official sources said Rohtas was the worst-hit district
because of floods where several villages under Nauhatta,
Rohtas, Tilathu, Dehri And Akodhi Gola blocks were inundated
due to flood following discharge of 2.22 lakh cusec water from
Indrapuri Barrage at Tilauthu in river Sone.
So far, 1008 people have been safely evacuated while
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel were engaged
to evacuate some more people trapped in the villages to safer
places, official sources said.
Around 50,000 people were affected by floods in the
district where situation was stated to be under control, they
said, adding the flood waters entered several villages in
The flood water of the Ganges submerged the National
Highway near Doriganj in Saran district affecting road traffic
between Patna and Gopalgaj for several hours.
More than 1.5 lakh people have been affected by flash
floods following rise in water level of the Ganges and Saryu
in Dighwara, Chapra (Sadar), Sonepur and Riviliganj blocks.
CWC sources said other rivers like Burhi Gandak, Gandak,
Kosi and Bagmati were flowing below the danger mark along
their course in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder