Patna: The death toll in Bihar`s Jehanabad district where labourers fell ill after consuming poisonous `sattu`, a variety of gram flour, rose to 10 on Tuesday.
All the dead are said to be labourers who had bought contaminated ‘sattu’ from the same shop yesterday. Soon after consuming it, they complained of stomach ache and their condition deteriorated. They were rushed to the district hospital.
Besides the dead, two others are in a critical condition and are undergoing treatment at the district hospital.
“A police team raided the shop from where the labourers purchased `sattu`, but the shopkeeper ran away and is missing," a police official said.
The district administration has ordered an inquiry into the incident. A compensation of Rs 1 lakh each for the kin of the victims was announced by the state government.