Bihar girl commits suicide after molestation bid
Patna: A 14-year-old girl committed suicide in a village in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district after a teacher of a madrasa (Muslim seminary) tried to molest her, police said Tuesday.
She committed suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan with a rope late Monday night, police said.
The teacher, Irfan Alam tried to molest the girl when she was sleeping in her house two days ago at Budhnagar Jagannath village in Muzaffarpur, 70 km from here.
Alam failed in his attempt after the girl raised an alarm and he was caught and thrashed by the villagers.
"We have lodged a case and begun an investigation into it to verify the circumstances that forced her to end life," police official Dhanajay Kumar told IANS over telephone from Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from here.
The village panchayat imposed a fine of Rs.51,000 on Alam as a punishment but he refused to pay the amount to girl`s family. Later, "Alam in the presence of police agreed to pay the fine," Kumar said.
Some villagers reportedly taunted the girl over the issue, and this led her to commit suicide, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves