Bihar govt agency to construct Ganga Expressway
Patna: After failed attempts to attract private investors for the Ganga Expressway project along the banks of the river here on the lines of Mumbai`s Marine Drive, a government agency has now been roped in to construct it, an official said.
"The Bihar government is committed to the mega project - Ganga Expressway - as private companies have not come forward to promote it. Now the state government`s own agency will construct it," Road Construction Minister Nand Kishore Yadav told a news agency.
Yadav said the government has initiated the process to change its mode of construction. Earlier it was to be constructed in the Public-Private-Partnership mode.
In August last year, the state government had approved the much-awaited 21.5-km long Deedarganj to Digha Ghat Ganga Expressway project.
The government also cleared the decks to acquire over 200 hectares of land for the project, the official said.
The estimated cost of the project would be Rs 2,234.46 crore (Rs 22.34 billion) and is likely to be completed within four years.
In the first phase, the driveway will connect Digha and Didarganj, a stretch of 21 km and in the second phase, it will go to Fatuha, a distance of 18 km.
About seven kilometres will be elevated.
A road construction department official said the government agency like Bihar State Road Construction Corporation was asked to complete the paper work related to its construction.
"The state government will issue tender for Ganga Expressway by March-April 2013," the official said.
Last year the state government had postponed the date for launching the financial bid four times in past two months due to cold response of the private investors.
According to Yadav, 12 firms had responded to the expression of interest floated for the Ganga Expressway project. Nine were shortlisted for financial bidding stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation