Bihar govt declares three-day mourning on Gujral`s death
Patna: Bihar government declared three-day state mourning on the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral after a brief illness on Friday.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Gujral`s death has created a big vacuum in the politics of the country.
As soon as news of Gujral`s death came, Kumar announced a three-day state mourning from Friday itself, an official statement said here.
As part of this, all the offices were closed and the national tricolour flew at half-mast in government offices.
RJD President Lalu Prasad, who was on his way to Supual in Bihar as part of his `Parivartan Rally` from Saturday, expressed sorrow over Gujral`s death.
"We are in deep shock over death of Gujral. God give strength to his family to fight the tragedy," Prasad told PTI.
Gujral contested from Patna in the 1991 mid-term Parliamentary polls as Janata Dal candidate with Prasad`s support but the election was countermanded following complaints of large-scale irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred