Bihar govt declares three-day mourning on Gujral`s death
Patna: Bihar government declared three-day state mourning on the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral after a brief illness on Friday.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Gujral`s death has created a big vacuum in the politics of the country.
As soon as news of Gujral`s death came, Kumar announced a three-day state mourning from Friday itself, an official statement said here.
As part of this, all the offices were closed and the national tricolour flew at half-mast in government offices.
RJD President Lalu Prasad, who was on his way to Supual in Bihar as part of his `Parivartan Rally` from Saturday, expressed sorrow over Gujral`s death.
"We are in deep shock over death of Gujral. God give strength to his family to fight the tragedy," Prasad told PTI.
Gujral contested from Patna in the 1991 mid-term Parliamentary polls as Janata Dal candidate with Prasad`s support but the election was countermanded following complaints of large-scale irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?