Bihar govt declares three-day mourning on Gujral`s death
Patna: Bihar government declared three-day state mourning on the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral after a brief illness on Friday.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Gujral`s death has created a big vacuum in the politics of the country.
As soon as news of Gujral`s death came, Kumar announced a three-day state mourning from Friday itself, an official statement said here.
As part of this, all the offices were closed and the national tricolour flew at half-mast in government offices.
RJD President Lalu Prasad, who was on his way to Supual in Bihar as part of his `Parivartan Rally` from Saturday, expressed sorrow over Gujral`s death.
"We are in deep shock over death of Gujral. God give strength to his family to fight the tragedy," Prasad told PTI.
Gujral contested from Patna in the 1991 mid-term Parliamentary polls as Janata Dal candidate with Prasad`s support but the election was countermanded following complaints of large-scale irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway