Bihar govt declares three-day mourning on Gujral`s death
Patna: Bihar government declared three-day state mourning on the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral after a brief illness on Friday.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Gujral`s death has created a big vacuum in the politics of the country.
As soon as news of Gujral`s death came, Kumar announced a three-day state mourning from Friday itself, an official statement said here.
As part of this, all the offices were closed and the national tricolour flew at half-mast in government offices.
RJD President Lalu Prasad, who was on his way to Supual in Bihar as part of his `Parivartan Rally` from Saturday, expressed sorrow over Gujral`s death.
"We are in deep shock over death of Gujral. God give strength to his family to fight the tragedy," Prasad told PTI.
Gujral contested from Patna in the 1991 mid-term Parliamentary polls as Janata Dal candidate with Prasad`s support but the election was countermanded following complaints of large-scale irregularities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui