Bihar govt to seek assistance of Rs 1510 cr from centre for drought
Patna: Bihar government has prepared a
supplementary memorandum seeking financial assistance of Rs
1510 crore for rest of ten districts declared drought-hit by
it following deficient rainfall.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had on August seven met
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought an immediate
financial assistance of over Rs 5000 crore from the Centre to
tackle the drought situation in 28 of 38 districts which were
declared drought-hit in Bihar earlier.
"We have prepared a supplementary memorandum for
seeking additional help from the Centre for the districts of
Gopalganj, West Champaran, Khagaria, Saharsa, Supaul, Katihar,
Araria, madhepura, Purnia and Kishanganj," state Disaster
Management department sources said.
"A team of state officials went to New Delhi this
afternoon to submit the supplementary memorandum to the
Centre", they said.
Bihar is facing a severe drought-like situation
because of scanty rainfall.
Right from 2007, the state has been suffering from
natural calamities. In 2007, 22 districts were badly hit by
floods that affected 25 million people. In 2008, the state had
to face Kosi tragedy. Thereafter in 2009, 26 out of 38
districts were affected by drought.
However, the intensity of drought is much more than
the last year, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered