Bihar govt to seek assistance of Rs 1510 cr from centre for drought
Patna: Bihar government has prepared a
supplementary memorandum seeking financial assistance of Rs
1510 crore for rest of ten districts declared drought-hit by
it following deficient rainfall.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had on August seven met
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought an immediate
financial assistance of over Rs 5000 crore from the Centre to
tackle the drought situation in 28 of 38 districts which were
declared drought-hit in Bihar earlier.
"We have prepared a supplementary memorandum for
seeking additional help from the Centre for the districts of
Gopalganj, West Champaran, Khagaria, Saharsa, Supaul, Katihar,
Araria, madhepura, Purnia and Kishanganj," state Disaster
Management department sources said.
"A team of state officials went to New Delhi this
afternoon to submit the supplementary memorandum to the
Centre", they said.
Bihar is facing a severe drought-like situation
because of scanty rainfall.
Right from 2007, the state has been suffering from
natural calamities. In 2007, 22 districts were badly hit by
floods that affected 25 million people. In 2008, the state had
to face Kosi tragedy. Thereafter in 2009, 26 out of 38
districts were affected by drought.
However, the intensity of drought is much more than
the last year, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video