Bihar has launched massive crackdown on hooch trade: Nitish
Patna: Stung by a series of hooch incidents, which claimed over 50 lives in different parts of the state recently, Bihar government has launched a massive crackdown on illegal liquor trade network, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Friday.
Regular raids are being conducted at places where hooch is manufactured or sold, in accordance with information provided by the intelligence, Kumar said at a review meeting of Excise Department here.
Recently, the chief minister had said that there were provisions for confiscation of property of people, found guilty in illegal liquor trade, in the Criminal Amendment Act and the Excise Act.
He said that these provisions will be used to punish those involved in the illegal trade.
He said the state government`s excise policy was aimed at dissuading people from consumption of liquor by increasing tax on alcohol items.
Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, Excise Minister Vijendra Yadav and Chief Secretary A K Sinha were present in the review meeting.
The chief minister took stock of action regarding collection of taxes on sale of liquor and steps initiated to stop its illegal trade.
More than 50 people had died in hooch incidents in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back