Bihar hooch tragedy claims 18 lives
Patna: The death toll from consuming moonshine in Bihar rose to 18 Saturday morning with 11 more people losing their lives in the past 24 hours, police said.
"Nine people, including four woman, died late Thursday night after they consumed spurious liquor and later three died Friday and six early Saturday," a police official said.
The first incident happened late Thursday in Anitha village in Bhojpur district. After consuming the liquor, the villagers started complaining of stomach pain and began vomiting.
Bhojpur Superintendent of police M.R. Nayak said that 16 people were arrested in this connection. "More arrest will take place as police raids are going on," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S. Verma said that a six member committee had been constituted to probe into the incident.
Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) is protesting the incident and are on a day long strike.
"Workers of the CPI-ML have disrupted rail traffic to ensure their strike against death of 18 people in hooch tragedy," a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?