Bihar hooch tragedy claims 18 lives
Patna: The death toll from consuming moonshine in Bihar rose to 18 Saturday morning with 11 more people losing their lives in the past 24 hours, police said.
"Nine people, including four woman, died late Thursday night after they consumed spurious liquor and later three died Friday and six early Saturday," a police official said.
The first incident happened late Thursday in Anitha village in Bhojpur district. After consuming the liquor, the villagers started complaining of stomach pain and began vomiting.
Bhojpur Superintendent of police M.R. Nayak said that 16 people were arrested in this connection. "More arrest will take place as police raids are going on," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S. Verma said that a six member committee had been constituted to probe into the incident.
Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) is protesting the incident and are on a day long strike.
"Workers of the CPI-ML have disrupted rail traffic to ensure their strike against death of 18 people in hooch tragedy," a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH