Bihar hooch tragedy claims 18 lives
Patna: The death toll from consuming moonshine in Bihar rose to 18 Saturday morning with 11 more people losing their lives in the past 24 hours, police said.
"Nine people, including four woman, died late Thursday night after they consumed spurious liquor and later three died Friday and six early Saturday," a police official said.
The first incident happened late Thursday in Anitha village in Bhojpur district. After consuming the liquor, the villagers started complaining of stomach pain and began vomiting.
Bhojpur Superintendent of police M.R. Nayak said that 16 people were arrested in this connection. "More arrest will take place as police raids are going on," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S. Verma said that a six member committee had been constituted to probe into the incident.
Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) is protesting the incident and are on a day long strike.
"Workers of the CPI-ML have disrupted rail traffic to ensure their strike against death of 18 people in hooch tragedy," a police official said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Facebook rewards 10-year-old for discovering flaw in Instagram
- Google autonomous car project teams with Fiat Chrysler
- Will shoot policemen if they continue to harass BJP workers, warns BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Brazil court scraps suspension of WhatsApp
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless