Bihar hooch tragedy claims 18 lives
Patna: The death toll from consuming moonshine in Bihar rose to 18 Saturday morning with 11 more people losing their lives in the past 24 hours, police said.
"Nine people, including four woman, died late Thursday night after they consumed spurious liquor and later three died Friday and six early Saturday," a police official said.
The first incident happened late Thursday in Anitha village in Bhojpur district. After consuming the liquor, the villagers started complaining of stomach pain and began vomiting.
Bhojpur Superintendent of police M.R. Nayak said that 16 people were arrested in this connection. "More arrest will take place as police raids are going on," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S. Verma said that a six member committee had been constituted to probe into the incident.
Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) is protesting the incident and are on a day long strike.
"Workers of the CPI-ML have disrupted rail traffic to ensure their strike against death of 18 people in hooch tragedy," a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened