Bihar hooch tragedy: Rs 50 cr property papers found from suspect
Gaya: Police on Thursday seized papers of properties worth Rs 50 crore from Mantu Yadav, brother of RJD MLA Surendra Yadav, falling outside Bihar, but failed to net Mantu Yadav suspected to be behind the hooch death in Gaya that claimed 12 lives.
Armed with search warrant issued by court of Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM), Gaya, police raided the Bindi market complex of Mantu Yadav which also includes his residence and seized papers of properties worth Rs 50 crore, Superintendent of Police Akhtar Hussain said.
The SP said the properties included house in Delhi, Goa and Uttrakhand. A gun and several rounds of ammunition were also recovered from his house.
The market and the house have been sealed.
Cases were lodged against Mantu Yadav and others for selling spurious liquor.
During search at Yadav`s godowns a large quantity of illicit liquor was seized that apparently matched with the pouches containing spurious liquor recovered from the households of the victims.
Yadav`s brother Surendra Yadav, represents Belganj assembly seat in Gaya district from RJD.
The hooch tragedy in Gaya district was the second incident in the state in the past one week after 20 persons died due to consumption of illicit liquor in adjoining Bhojpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice