Bihar IG submits report on gang-rape of girl in Bengal
Patna: A Bihar government team which had gone to West Bengal in connection with the gangrape and alleged murder of a minor girl hailing from the state is believed to have pointed out that lack of security coverage to the family had led to the crime.
Inspector General of Police (Special Branch) J S Gangwar sent to West Bengal by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in the wake of the incident has submitted the report to the state government on Tuesday.
Principal Secretary Home Amir Subhani told PTI today that the government has received the report. However, he as well as IG Special Branch refused to divulge the details.
Sources, however, said the report has highlighted that the hapless family of the 16-year-old girl, who was gangraped first on October 25 and again after reporting the first attack to the police, did not get security in West Bengal resulting in the incident.
The family, hailing from Samastipur in Bihar, left Madhyamgram but was tracked down by the gang and the girl was allegedly set on fire on December 23 when she was alone.
The family also apprehended their future safety and security but refused to return to their native place in Bihar, the sources said.
Gangwar said he met the father, mother and other relatives of the girl and handed over a cheque of Rs one lakh provided by the Chief Minister Nitish Kumar which worked as a "healing touch".
When asked if they wanted to come to their native place in Bihar, the family refused saying they would like to remain there and fight for justice, he said.
The West Bengal government had slammed the Bihar government for sending the team and described it as "interference".
Regretting West Bengal Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim`s charge of interference by the Bihar government, Nitish Kumar had on Monday said he was merely responding to people`s `sentiments` by deputing a senior police official to visit West Bengal and provide financial assistance to the family.
The victim girl`s father met President Pranab Mukherjee yesterday seeking justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai