Bihar jail inmates to get higher wages
Gaya: Inmates in Bihar`s jails will now earn higher wages for their daily labour - in one case up to 10 times more, an official said Saturday. The wages have been hiked after decades.
Now, instead of Rs 8, an unskilled prisoner will get Rs 40 for four hours of work behind the bars. A semi-skilled prisoner will earn Rs.87 instead of Rs 10. The hike is highest (10 times) for a skilled prisoner, who will be paid Rs.121 instead of Rs 12.
"The proposal to increase remuneration of prisoners was submitted some months back. It was finally cleared by the cabinet after a green signal from the finance department," Vijay Prakash, principal secretary of state`s Cabinet Coordination Department, said Saturday.
The wage hike was part of the government`s jail reforms, he said.
Inmates lodged in the 54 jails of Bihar work in printing press, do knitting and tailoring, make soaps, ropes, tents and incense sticks, besides other jobs, a prison department official said.
The sale of jail products earn Bihar prisons huge revenues.
In the 2010-11 fiscal, the jails generated over Rs.16 crore while in the 2008-09 fiscal, the amount was Rs 10.76 crore - the highest in the country.
The Bihar prison department is now preparing to amend the jail manual after 87 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark