Bihar jails on alert after Maoist threat
Patna: Security of two Bihar jails was tightened on Saturday after an intelligence report that Maoists may target the prisons to free their cadres, police said.
Two days ahead of the fourth round of the Bihar Assembly Elections for 42 of the 243 seats Monday, the state administration is worried over the Maoist threat to jails. The first three rounds of polling passed off peacefully with no major violence.
A police official said that an intelligence report warned of possible Maoist attacks on two central jails in the state. "The police have taken it seriously and tightened the security," he added.
Security of Bhagalpur central jail in Bhagalpur district and Beur central jail here has been stepped up. Dozens of Maoists are lodged in the two prisons.
Police sources said police stations have been put on high alert after the intelligence report that outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist may attack prisons to free its members.
Bihar saw a major jailbreak in November 2005 when as many as 380 prisoners fled from Jehanabad prison. But later nearly 300 returned or were re-arrested.
The six-phased state Assembly polls began on October 21 and will end November 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video