Bihar launches education quality campaign
Patna: After achieving success in school enrollment, the Bihar government -- on the occasion of Teachers` Day on Monday -- launched a scheme to improve the quality of education in the state.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched the `Samjho Sikho` campaign, which will cover nearly 71,000 elementary schools across Bihar.
"After achieving success in enrollment in schools, now our target is to improve quality of education in the schools," Nitish Kumar said after launching the scheme at a function attended by students and teachers here.
He said the state government has outlined 20 parameters that will be followed by all schools.
"I have also written a letter addressing teachers that will be read out to students," he added.
The Chief Minister`s letter, that suggests ways to improve quality of education, has been circulated to all elementary schools.
He said that in the last five and a half years, the state government has worked hard to ensure that children are enrolled in schools.
"The government`s measures have succeeded to a large extent as only 2.5 percent children are now out of school. When I came to power in November 2005, 12 percent children were out of schools," Nitish Kumar said.
He said that regular assemblies should be organised in all schools, and the last period should be fixed for sports and cultural activities.
About 38 campaign vehicles that will travel across the state, were also flagged off on the occasion. "It is a part of the campaign to create awareness among people," said Anjani Kumar Singh, principal secretary of the state`s Human Resource Department.
The `Samjho Sikho` campaign is a joint effort of the Bihar Education Project Council and Unicef. The state government is spending Rs.50 crore on the project.
Nitish Kumar has repeatedly said that he is committed to improving the standard of education in the state.
According to Census 2011, Bihar has a literacy rate of 63.8 percent, against the national average of 74 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India