Bihar launches education quality campaign
Patna: After achieving success in school enrollment, the Bihar government -- on the occasion of Teachers` Day on Monday -- launched a scheme to improve the quality of education in the state.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched the `Samjho Sikho` campaign, which will cover nearly 71,000 elementary schools across Bihar.
"After achieving success in enrollment in schools, now our target is to improve quality of education in the schools," Nitish Kumar said after launching the scheme at a function attended by students and teachers here.
He said the state government has outlined 20 parameters that will be followed by all schools.
"I have also written a letter addressing teachers that will be read out to students," he added.
The Chief Minister`s letter, that suggests ways to improve quality of education, has been circulated to all elementary schools.
He said that in the last five and a half years, the state government has worked hard to ensure that children are enrolled in schools.
"The government`s measures have succeeded to a large extent as only 2.5 percent children are now out of school. When I came to power in November 2005, 12 percent children were out of schools," Nitish Kumar said.
He said that regular assemblies should be organised in all schools, and the last period should be fixed for sports and cultural activities.
About 38 campaign vehicles that will travel across the state, were also flagged off on the occasion. "It is a part of the campaign to create awareness among people," said Anjani Kumar Singh, principal secretary of the state`s Human Resource Department.
The `Samjho Sikho` campaign is a joint effort of the Bihar Education Project Council and Unicef. The state government is spending Rs.50 crore on the project.
Nitish Kumar has repeatedly said that he is committed to improving the standard of education in the state.
According to Census 2011, Bihar has a literacy rate of 63.8 percent, against the national average of 74 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand