Bihar mid-day meal deaths: School principal denied bail
Patna: A Bihar court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of the principal of a school where 23 children died after eating contaminated food in July. Hedr husband`s anticipatory bail plea also was dismissed.
A chief judicial magistrate in Saran district refused to give bail to school principal Meena Devi and dismissed the anticipatory bail plea of her husband Arjun Rai, and issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against him.
Police said Rai, accused of buying the pesticide which got mixed in the meal, has been missing and on the run since the mid-day meal tragedy July 16.
"After local police informed the court that there is evidence against Rai, the court issued non-bailable warrant against him," a district police official said.
Meena Devi, who was the head of the government primary school at Gandaman village, was arrested a week after the tragedy.
A first information report was registered against her on charges of murder and criminal conspiracy, police said.
A forensic lab report confirmed presence of toxic insecticide traces in the cooking oil used for making food at the school, police said. It claimed the lives of 23 students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog