Bihar mid-day meal deaths: School principal denied bail
Patna: A Bihar court Wednesday rejected the bail plea of the principal of a school where 23 children died after eating contaminated food in July. Hedr husband`s anticipatory bail plea also was dismissed.
A chief judicial magistrate in Saran district refused to give bail to school principal Meena Devi and dismissed the anticipatory bail plea of her husband Arjun Rai, and issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against him.
Police said Rai, accused of buying the pesticide which got mixed in the meal, has been missing and on the run since the mid-day meal tragedy July 16.
"After local police informed the court that there is evidence against Rai, the court issued non-bailable warrant against him," a district police official said.
Meena Devi, who was the head of the government primary school at Gandaman village, was arrested a week after the tragedy.
A first information report was registered against her on charges of murder and criminal conspiracy, police said.
A forensic lab report confirmed presence of toxic insecticide traces in the cooking oil used for making food at the school, police said. It claimed the lives of 23 students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Kejriwal chides Goa CM over tainted relative
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet brings cheers for Armed forces; salary more than doubled
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez confident Lionel Messi will reverse his decision to retire
- 7th Pay Commission: Demand to push growth; modest risk to inflation
- Court orders Vijay Mallya to appear on July 29