Bihar mid-day meal: NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The NHRC on Friday sought reports from the Education department of Bihar and Sheohar district administration on the issue of 55 children falling sick allegedly after consuming mid-day meal.
The notices were served to the Principal Secretary (Education) of Bihar government and to the District Magistrate, Sheohar, according to a statement issued by National Human Rights Commission.
They have been given four weeks time to submit their reports in the case.
The notices were issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of media reports that 55 children fell sick after consuming mid-day meal at Sugia Middle School in Sheohar district of Bihar.
"The forensic report confirmed the presence of toxic insecticide strains in the cooking oil used for making food at the school," the statement said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH