Bihar mid-day meal: NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The NHRC on Friday sought reports from the Education department of Bihar and Sheohar district administration on the issue of 55 children falling sick allegedly after consuming mid-day meal.
The notices were served to the Principal Secretary (Education) of Bihar government and to the District Magistrate, Sheohar, according to a statement issued by National Human Rights Commission.
They have been given four weeks time to submit their reports in the case.
The notices were issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of media reports that 55 children fell sick after consuming mid-day meal at Sugia Middle School in Sheohar district of Bihar.
"The forensic report confirmed the presence of toxic insecticide strains in the cooking oil used for making food at the school," the statement said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press reports, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage