Bihar mid-day meal toll rises to 23
Chapra/Patna: One more child has died in the mid-day meal tragedy in Chapra taking the toll to 23, while 25 others, including 24 children and a cook, were under treatment in the Patna Medical College and Hospital.
The district administration has come to know about the death of a child who was buried by family members without informing the authorities, Saran District Magistrate Abhijit Sinha told a news agency.
Seventeen school children died in the Sadar Hospital in Chapra, four were declared brought dead on arrival to PMCH on late Tuesday night and two lost their lives during treatment at PMCH yesterday.
PMCH Superintendent Amarkant Jha Azad contradicted media reports about some fresh deaths including that of the cook Manju Devi.
"The condition of all 25, including 24 children and woman cook Manju Devi, is improving," Azad told a news agency.
Saran DM said that the officials had checked by visiting every house in the vicinity of Dharmasati Gandavan village to know about any death about which the authority has no knowledge.
He said that the principal of the school, Meena Devi, is absconding with her husband and the police was conducting raids against them. The principal, against whom an FIR has been lodged, has already been suspended by the administration.
The DM said that the government primary school, where the tragedy took place, had been closed till further order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31