Bihar minister cancels UK tour after a snub from Manjhi
Patna: Minutes after Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi expressed displeasure at the state Urban Development Minister`s trip to England when large parts of Patna remained under water, Samrat Chaudhary, the concerned minister, cancelled his trip.
"We have decided to cancel the trip to England in view of the waterlogging problem in Patna," Chaudhary told a news agency.
Manjhi told reporters when asked about Chaudhary`s visit to the UK, "He should not go outside the country when Patna is battling waterlogging in majority areas for the past many days."
Chaudhary was to go to the UK with a team of officials from Friday to study solid waste management system in that country for replicating them in the capital town.
Chaudhary today cracked the whip on Executive Officer of Patna Municipal Corporation in Kankarbagh for dereliction of duty.
He said the officials were working on war footing to drain out accumulated water from Rajendranagar, Kankarbagh and Patliputra colony among others localities which are under two to three feet of water, affecting a majority of the 20 lakh population of the city.
"If work is not hampered by further rains we expect to clear waterlogging by this evening," Chaudhary said.
The state government had drawn flak of the Patna High Court two days back for accumulation of rainwater in major localities since August 13. Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh appearing before the court yesterday promised to clear waterlogging in the next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years