Bihar minister cancels UK tour after a snub from Manjhi
Patna: Minutes after Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi expressed displeasure at the state Urban Development Minister`s trip to England when large parts of Patna remained under water, Samrat Chaudhary, the concerned minister, cancelled his trip.
"We have decided to cancel the trip to England in view of the waterlogging problem in Patna," Chaudhary told a news agency.
Manjhi told reporters when asked about Chaudhary`s visit to the UK, "He should not go outside the country when Patna is battling waterlogging in majority areas for the past many days."
Chaudhary was to go to the UK with a team of officials from Friday to study solid waste management system in that country for replicating them in the capital town.
Chaudhary today cracked the whip on Executive Officer of Patna Municipal Corporation in Kankarbagh for dereliction of duty.
He said the officials were working on war footing to drain out accumulated water from Rajendranagar, Kankarbagh and Patliputra colony among others localities which are under two to three feet of water, affecting a majority of the 20 lakh population of the city.
"If work is not hampered by further rains we expect to clear waterlogging by this evening," Chaudhary said.
The state government had drawn flak of the Patna High Court two days back for accumulation of rainwater in major localities since August 13. Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh appearing before the court yesterday promised to clear waterlogging in the next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi