Bihar MLAs, MLCs told to attend I-day functions
Patna: In an apparent bid to hold sway over Mahadalits in Bihar, Nitish Kumar government has made it mandatory for all MLAs and MLCs to attend Independence Day functions this year in one of the Mahadalit tolas of their choice in their respective constituencies and home districts.
The government, in a letter addressed to all legislators, urged them to choose any Mahadalit tola or village in their respective area for the purpose, official sources said on Thursday.
Last year, the state government had decided to organize Independence Day functions in all such ‘tolas’ where an elderly person among them would unfurl the national flag.
The district magistrates have also been directed to coordinate with the legislators about their choice of Mahadalit tola and make necessary arrangements for success of such functions, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why