Bihar mulling proposal to run monorail service
Patna: The Bihar Urban Development Department is mulling a proposal to run monorail service in the state capital.
Tenders would soon be invited for preparing a detailed project report (DPR) in the next couple of months.
Official sources said the government has asked the RITES to submit report of the survey conducted to assess the viability of the project last year.
Bihar minister for Urban Development Prem Kumar said a decision to invite tenders to prepare a DPR of the project would be taken after studying the survey reports, prepared by RITES.
Monorail is an urban transport system where elevated tracks are raised to run small trains to ferry commuters from one part of the city to another.
Construction cost of this mode of transportation is less than metro rail, as it runs on a single line and consumes less space. The proposal to run a monorail in Patna was mooted during Lalu Prasad`s tenure as railway minister as the latter was impressed by the urban transport system during his visits to various countries.
Meanwhile, officials in the East Central Railway maintained, that the project could take off only when the state government takes necessary decisions to acquire land - a key point to raise elevated tracks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India