Bihar mulls confiscating properties of hooch culpr
Patna: Stung by the recent hooch deaths, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday hinted at a conspiracy behind serial hooch cases and said his government would confiscate properties of the culprits.
"Serial hooch tragedies points towards something," Kumar told reporters.
Over 50 people had lost their lives after consuming spurious liquor in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya districts earlier this month.
In Gaya, Rajkumar Yadav alias Mantu Yadav, brother of RJD MLA Surendra Yadav, who is the main accused in the hooch tragedy claiming 12 lives, surrendered before a court today.
Kumar said strong legal actions would be taken against culprits that include confiscation of their properties as per provisions under Criminal Law Amendment Act and Excise Act.
Police would thoroughly probe hooch tragedies in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya and demolish the network engaged in illicit liquor trade, he said.
RJD president Lalu Prasad and his LJP counterpart Ramvilas Paswan have stepped up their attack on the state government for the hooch deaths. The RJD today organised protests over the issue.
"Opposition is acting in a very irresponsible manner on the issue and is trying to spread confusion," Kumar said emerging from `Janata Ke Darbar Mae Mukhya Mantri`.
Kumar said a ban on liquor was not feasible as proved by the step taken by the Karpoori Thakur government in 1977.
In a veiled attack on RJD, Kumar said questions should be raised to people who ruled the state for 15 years as why tax from liquor trade was as low as Rs 200 crore in their time and which has gone upto Rs 2,000 crore annually now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister