Bihar mulls confiscating properties of hooch culpr
Patna: Stung by the recent hooch deaths, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday hinted at a conspiracy behind serial hooch cases and said his government would confiscate properties of the culprits.
"Serial hooch tragedies points towards something," Kumar told reporters.
Over 50 people had lost their lives after consuming spurious liquor in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya districts earlier this month.
In Gaya, Rajkumar Yadav alias Mantu Yadav, brother of RJD MLA Surendra Yadav, who is the main accused in the hooch tragedy claiming 12 lives, surrendered before a court today.
Kumar said strong legal actions would be taken against culprits that include confiscation of their properties as per provisions under Criminal Law Amendment Act and Excise Act.
Police would thoroughly probe hooch tragedies in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya and demolish the network engaged in illicit liquor trade, he said.
RJD president Lalu Prasad and his LJP counterpart Ramvilas Paswan have stepped up their attack on the state government for the hooch deaths. The RJD today organised protests over the issue.
"Opposition is acting in a very irresponsible manner on the issue and is trying to spread confusion," Kumar said emerging from `Janata Ke Darbar Mae Mukhya Mantri`.
Kumar said a ban on liquor was not feasible as proved by the step taken by the Karpoori Thakur government in 1977.
In a veiled attack on RJD, Kumar said questions should be raised to people who ruled the state for 15 years as why tax from liquor trade was as low as Rs 200 crore in their time and which has gone upto Rs 2,000 crore annually now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi