‘Bihar Naxal areas best in pursuing road projects’
Patna: Bihar has been rated as the best state in implementing the first phase of Centre-sponsored road projects in areas affected by the Left wing extremism, a top official said on Sunday.
Under this programme, 678 km of roads has to be upgraded in the state. Bihar has completed work in 308 km by February 2012, Secretary in Road Construction Department Pratya Amrit said.
Work in the rest would be completed by March 2013, he said.
"Bihar has been rated as best in implementation of the first phase of the project for covering maximum length of the roads," Amrit said.
Five districts of Bihar---Gaya, Jehanabad, Arwal, Aurangabad and Jamui-- have been included under the programme and the task is to upgradae 677.71 km of roads at a cost of Rs 616.335 crore.
In Jamui district bordering Jharkhand, the work has been completed, he said. This area had been a hot spot of naxal activities in recent times. In Gaya, almost 90 per of the target has been achieved, he added.
"Proposals for the second phase of the project will be ready soon for submission to the Amrit said.
Considering the good performance, the Centre has also approved building of 250 km of quality roads out of a total of 557 km along Indo-Nepal borders in the state.
"While the state government will spend Rs 2,000 crore for this, the Centre`s share is of Rs 1,702 crore," he added.
Tender for work in 250 km strech from Bettiah to Araria is expected to be done by June and the work in all probability would be completed by 2016, Amrit said.
For the ambitious rail-cum-road bridge over river Ganga at Digha, he said six bidders out of the total of 12 have been short-listed. "The work is expected to start on the project by June 20," he said.
The Nitish Kumar government has promised to facilitate road journey from remotest places of the state to the state capital within 6 hours. "We have achieved over 80 per cent of the target," Amrit added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?