Bihar not implementing PMGSY properly: C P Joshi
New Delhi: The Centre Monday accused Bihar government of not implementing Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, a programme dedicated for construction of roads, a charge strongly protested by JD-U and BJP MPs from the state.
Replying to a supplementary by Lalu Prasad (RJD) during the Question Hour in Lok Sabha, Rural Development Minister C P Joshi said "...Bihar is one state where PMGSY is not being implemented.
"We have sanctioned proposals worth Rs 17,000 crore for Bihar but the state has not done the work they are supposed to do," he said.
Taking strong exception to the remark, MPs belonging to JD-U and BJP from Bihar said the NDA-ruled state was being given step-motherly treatment. Shahnawaz Hussain (BJP) and Sharad Yadav (JD-U) were among those who protested the minister`s statement.
Joshi, however, denied allegations that the Centre was giving step-motherly treatment to Bihar.
Since assembly elections in state are near, they (the state government) wants to pass on the buck to the Centre, Joshi said.
He also said that under the PMGSY, there was no provision for upgradation of rural roads once constructed under the programme.
"Maintenance of roads constructed under PMGSY is to be carried out by the states/Union Territories," Joshi said.
He said no funds are released by the Ministry of Rural Development for upgradation of roads under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?