Bihar not implementing PMGSY properly: C P Joshi
New Delhi: The Centre Monday accused Bihar government of not implementing Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, a programme dedicated for construction of roads, a charge strongly protested by JD-U and BJP MPs from the state.
Replying to a supplementary by Lalu Prasad (RJD) during the Question Hour in Lok Sabha, Rural Development Minister C P Joshi said "...Bihar is one state where PMGSY is not being implemented.
"We have sanctioned proposals worth Rs 17,000 crore for Bihar but the state has not done the work they are supposed to do," he said.
Taking strong exception to the remark, MPs belonging to JD-U and BJP from Bihar said the NDA-ruled state was being given step-motherly treatment. Shahnawaz Hussain (BJP) and Sharad Yadav (JD-U) were among those who protested the minister`s statement.
Joshi, however, denied allegations that the Centre was giving step-motherly treatment to Bihar.
Since assembly elections in state are near, they (the state government) wants to pass on the buck to the Centre, Joshi said.
He also said that under the PMGSY, there was no provision for upgradation of rural roads once constructed under the programme.
"Maintenance of roads constructed under PMGSY is to be carried out by the states/Union Territories," Joshi said.
He said no funds are released by the Ministry of Rural Development for upgradation of roads under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why