Bihar: Officers Training Academy inaugurated
Gaya: Army chief General VK Singh on Monday formally declared open the Officers Training Academy (OTA) here, which has already begun training its first batch of cadets.
The OTA was envisaged to help reduce the shortage in the officers strength of the Indian Army that now is managing with just about 35,000 officers, compared to its sanctioned strength of 47,864.
The Gaya OTA is the third military academy of the country that trains officers for the army and the second for training short service commissioned officers -- the other one already functioning in Chennai. The third is the Indian Military Academy at Dehradun that exclusively trains permanent commissioned officers.
The academy here began its first training course July 18 this year. The first course inauguration was done by Army Training Command General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Lt. Gen K Surendra Nath.
Functioning under the Shimla-headquartered Army Training Command (ARTRAC), the OTA was raised in record time after approval last year for construction of modern and state-of-the-art infrastructure and world-class training facilities.
With "Shaurya, Gyan aur Sankalp" (valour, knowledge, resolution) as it motto, the Gaya OTA has 149 cadets in its first batch. But the strength will be increased gradually to its full capacity of 750 cadets in a few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi