Bihar official invests bribes in Rs 40 lakh gold jewellery for wife
Patna: This Bihar official had a penchant for gifting gold jewellery to his wife from his "ill-gotten" wealth--and they ran into lakhs of rupees.
But the golden run ended after the long arm of the law finally caught up with the middle-level education officer, who has been made an accused in a disproportionate assets (DA) case.
Jewellery worth around Rs 40 lakh was recovered during the raids at the residence of Deputy Director of Secondary Education Radha Krishna Singh Yadav on Tuesday, sources in Economic Offence Unit (EOU) said on Friday.
The officer, who has been booked in the DA case, gifted his wife 219 golden earrings and tops, 53 rings, 36 bangles, 30 chains and six necklaces, all in gold, the sources said.
The gold jewellery weighed around 1.4 kg and was valued at Rs 38.41 lakh, the sources added.
The silver jewellery and expensive crockery weighed 8.4 kg worth Rs 3.54 lakh, the sources said.
"Recovery of such large volume of gold and silver jewellery from a modest education officer really baffled us," Inspector General of Police, EOU, Praveen Vashist told a news agency.
Yadav`s assets disproportionate to his known sources of income in all totalled Rs 2.29 crore that included a house, plot of land and luxury vehicles, sources said. The officer hailed from Gopalganj district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani