Bihar official invests bribes in Rs 40 lakh gold jewellery for wife
Patna: This Bihar official had a penchant for gifting gold jewellery to his wife from his "ill-gotten" wealth--and they ran into lakhs of rupees.
But the golden run ended after the long arm of the law finally caught up with the middle-level education officer, who has been made an accused in a disproportionate assets (DA) case.
Jewellery worth around Rs 40 lakh was recovered during the raids at the residence of Deputy Director of Secondary Education Radha Krishna Singh Yadav on Tuesday, sources in Economic Offence Unit (EOU) said on Friday.
The officer, who has been booked in the DA case, gifted his wife 219 golden earrings and tops, 53 rings, 36 bangles, 30 chains and six necklaces, all in gold, the sources said.
The gold jewellery weighed around 1.4 kg and was valued at Rs 38.41 lakh, the sources added.
The silver jewellery and expensive crockery weighed 8.4 kg worth Rs 3.54 lakh, the sources said.
"Recovery of such large volume of gold and silver jewellery from a modest education officer really baffled us," Inspector General of Police, EOU, Praveen Vashist told a news agency.
Yadav`s assets disproportionate to his known sources of income in all totalled Rs 2.29 crore that included a house, plot of land and luxury vehicles, sources said. The officer hailed from Gopalganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre