Bihar official invests bribes in Rs 40 lakh gold jewellery for wife
Patna: This Bihar official had a penchant for gifting gold jewellery to his wife from his "ill-gotten" wealth--and they ran into lakhs of rupees.
But the golden run ended after the long arm of the law finally caught up with the middle-level education officer, who has been made an accused in a disproportionate assets (DA) case.
Jewellery worth around Rs 40 lakh was recovered during the raids at the residence of Deputy Director of Secondary Education Radha Krishna Singh Yadav on Tuesday, sources in Economic Offence Unit (EOU) said on Friday.
The officer, who has been booked in the DA case, gifted his wife 219 golden earrings and tops, 53 rings, 36 bangles, 30 chains and six necklaces, all in gold, the sources said.
The gold jewellery weighed around 1.4 kg and was valued at Rs 38.41 lakh, the sources added.
The silver jewellery and expensive crockery weighed 8.4 kg worth Rs 3.54 lakh, the sources said.
"Recovery of such large volume of gold and silver jewellery from a modest education officer really baffled us," Inspector General of Police, EOU, Praveen Vashist told a news agency.
Yadav`s assets disproportionate to his known sources of income in all totalled Rs 2.29 crore that included a house, plot of land and luxury vehicles, sources said. The officer hailed from Gopalganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read