Bihar on alert post Cyclone Phailin
Patna: Bihar government has sounded alert in 28 flood-prone districts following a warning issued by Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) in the wake of Cyclone Phailin that pounded Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
Bihar is experiencing incessant drizzle accompanied by strong winds since morning affecting the festive mood.
Heavy downpour in the state is forecast by IMD over the next 48 hours.
"The district magistrates concerned were directed to take all precautionary measures to deal with any flood-like situation on the basis of the IMD`s warning," Officer on Special Duty in Disaster Management Department (DMD) Vipin Kumar Rai told.
"We have paid heed to the IMD warning since October 10 and put the flood-probe districts on alert to deal with any untoward situation," he said.
IMD had warned of flood-like situation in Bihar due to heavy rainfall caused by atmospheric pressure created by Cyclone Phailin.
Rai said two NDRF teams have been deployed in Supaul and one each in Darbhanga and Gopalganj districts with IMD predicting heavy rainfall in north Bihar districts - particularly in those located in the upper catchment area bordering Nepal that may cause Kosi and Gandak rivers to be in spate.
In addition, one team of State Disaster Response Force each has been put in place at Begusarai, Bhagalpur, Bhojpur, Jehanabad and Patna districts, while a reserve SDRF team will remain stationed in the state capital.
The state government departments have, however, been working in flood management mode for past one month after 20 districts were inundated due to spate in several rivers, Rai added.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had held a meeting with senior officials, including the chief secretary and the state police chief three days ago to review flood preparedness. He had also directed district magistrates of the flood prone districts to take necessary action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Revealed: What RCB, SRH players did on the night before IPL final!
- Housing.Com to achieve $10 million revenue this fiscal
- Jats protest outside Rajnath Singh's residence demanding reservation
- Attacks on African nationals: MOS VK Singh calls them 'minor scuffle', stokes controversy
- Fact alert! Anushka Sharma performed her own stunts in Salman Khan's 'Sultan'