`Bihar open jail has attracted praise from foreign
Patna: The open jail concept in Bihar, under which some prisoners are given a flat to live with their families in the jail compound, has attracted praise from foreign countries, a top jail official said on Sunday.
The open jail at Buxar, inaugurated by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on May 23, was discussed at length at the Asian Pacific Correction Administrative Conference held at Brunei early this month, Inspector General of Police (Prisons) Anand Kishore told a news agency.
"On hearing detailed presentation about the functioning of the open jail in Bihar, representatives from countries like Japan, Singapore and Brunei among others showered rich praise and evinced interest to pay a visit," Kishore, who had participated in the October 6-12 conference, said.
The IG Prisons said the open jail concept, a brainchild of the CM, is a unique concept of its kind in the country.
Giving details, he said 74 inmates presently staying in such a jail with their families have been provided with fully furnished one-room set each that features a separate kitchen and toilet.
Established on 42 acres area, Buxar open jail has 104 such flats with kitchen, he said.
Unlike normal prisons which have 14-18 feet boundary walls, the open jail has 4 feet high walls surrounding it, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal