Bihar panchayat bans use of mobile phones by girls
Siwan: After a panchayat in Kishanganj district imposed fine on women using cell phones last month, another one in Siwan district has banned use of mobiles and wearing short dress by school and college girls.
The ruling was adopted at a meeting of Siswa Kala panchayat under Hasanpur police station on Thursday to stop crime against women, Sarpanch Vijaykant Kunwar said.
The sarpanch said the ruling followed the demand of some women members and parents as, according to them, excessive use of mobile for listening to music and talking to men and wearing of short clothes by school and college girls led to crime against women.
He, however, said there was no provision of imposing penalty on those violating the order. "Parents shall ensure implementation of this order on their own," the sarpanch said.
Panchayati Raj Minister Bhim Singh said the government did not have any objection to people deciding social code of conduct for themselves.
"The government will take action if such decisions are imposed on people in violation of their civil rights and in contravention of laws," Singh said.
The district administration, however, ordered an inquiry into the order of the panchayat.
"Nobody has the right to issue such an order. We will investigate the matter," District Magistrate Gopal Meena said.
Superintendent of Police Satyabir Singh said the DSP (Sadar) has been entrusted with the task to inquire about the order of the panchayat.
The diktat came a month after Sunderwadi panchayat of Bihar`s Kisanganj district had given an order that girls using mobile phones would be fined Rs 10,000.
The decision followed incidences of married women of the minority-dominated area under Kochadham block eloping in the recent past with their paramours.
A ban on use of mobiles was imposed by a panchayat of Dausa in Rajasthan in November and in Uttar Pradesh in July last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17