Bihar panchayat poll candidate found hanging from tree
Patna: The body of a candidate contesting the ongoing Bihar panchayat polls was found hanging from a tree Friday morning, police said.
Rajendra Mahto, who was contesting from Baghauni panchayat in Samastipur, about 75 km from here, was found dead a day before the fourth phase of the elections.
Mahto`s family alleged that he had been killed by his political rivals.
"He was killed by political rivals, who were threatened by his presence in the electoral fray," a family member told police.
Angry villagers protested, demanding action against those responsible.
Despite the state government`s claims of conducting peaceful panchayat polls, there have been many incidents of violence and killings.
Earlier this week, the husband of a candidate was killed by a group of unidentified men in Nalanda district.
Before that, three supporters of the ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) were killed and four seriously injured in firing by a group of unidentified men in a village in Vaishali district.
The first round of the 10-phase panchayat polls saw a police officer and a woman killed in a Maoist attack in Jamui district. The Maoists have issued a poll boycott call and threatened to disrupt the elections.
The polls for 262,000 panchayat posts will end May 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi