Bihar panchayat poll candidate kills self after defeat
Patna: Upset over her defeat in the panchayat polls, a 35-year-old woman hanged herself in her home in Gaya district of Bihar, police said on Monday.
Meera Devi, a two time panchayat chief of Kormathu village, committed suicide on Sunday after she failed to retain her post.
"She was upset after her defeat in the polls. She locked herself up and ended her life," a police officer at the Belaganj police station said.
It is the first such case in Bihar when a candidate has committed suicide after losing in the panchatyat polls.
The panchayat polls began on April 20 and will end on May 28, by when a total of 262,000 panchayat members will be elected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'