Bihar: Police firing in Naugachia, one injured
Naugachia: Police on Tuesday opened four rounds
of fire in self-defence critically injuring one person when a
crowd of locals protesting against killing of a transporter
attacked a policeman on National Highway in Bihar`s Naugachia
police district, Superintendent of Police Dheeraj Kumar said.
50-year-old Punilal Jha, a transporter, was shot dead by
four motorcycle-borne gunmen here last night, Kumar said.
Enraged over the murder, locals assembled and blocked
the Purnia-Barauni National Highway at Naugachia demanding
immediate arrest of the killers, the SP said.
The mob went on the rampage and attacked a policeman
when police personnel tried to persuade them to lift the
blockade, he said.
They also clashed with policemen causing minor injuries
to some of them, including Station House Officer of Naugachia
In the meantime, some anti-socials in the crowd
opened fire and made futile attempt to snatch weapons from
the policemen, he said.
As the situation became uncontrollable, police also
opened fire in self-defence, injuring an agitator identified
as Fago Sharma of village Sakra, the SP said.
Sharma was admitted to the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical
College Hospital in Bhagalpur where his condition was stated
to be critical.
Tension ran high in Naugachia after the incident,
official sources said adding patrolling was intensified in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31