Bihar: Policemen suspended for cremating Muslim
Patna: Two police officers have been suspended here after a Muslim banker found dead near a park was mistakenly identified as a beggar and cremated according to Hindu rites.
The body of Mohd Ishrafil, a 46-year-old State Bank of India official, was recovered near Gandhi Maidan last week. He was cremated within three hours.
According to police, Ishrafil`s body was cremated after officials assumed he was a beggar. "It was a big mistake on the part of the police," an officer admitted on Friday.
Patna Senior Superintendent of Police BS Meena said two guilty police officials have been suspended.
Ishrafil`s family had lodged a complaint with the police on August 12 that he was missing. This was a day before his body was found.
Ishrafil`s family wants a criminal case registered against the guilty officers.
Ishrafil`s son Mohd Sohrab Alam said the police cremated his father at Banshghat near the Ganges.
He pointed out that police usually preserve unidentified bodies for 72 hours. But in his father`s case, they disposed his body within hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui