Bihar political turmoil: As it happened
The political drama in Bihar over chief ministership is unfolding by the minute, on Saturday.
Patna: The political drama in Bihar over chief ministership is unfolding by the minute, on Saturday.
LIVE Updates of the latest turn of events -
• We will take support of the BJP to run the government if there is any such need: Bihar minister Narendra Singh.
• Amid all the drama, a case has been filed against JD(U) national president Sharad Yadav, general secretary KC Tyagi and spokesperson Neeraj Kumar at a local court at Hajipur in Vaishali district on the charge of "conspiring to remove" Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi and insulting him.
• 20 Ministers have already resigned from Jitan Ram Manjhi's cabinet, two were already dismissed: Shyam Rajak (JDU)
• CM Jitan Ram Manjhi appeals Bihar Governor for dismissal of 15 ministers from state Cabinet.
• 19 Bihar Cabinet ministers (supporting Nitish Kumar) to resign shortly.
• I haven't received any other letter after that, If I do, will take it into consideration: Bihar Governor KN Tripathi
• I received a proposal yesterday, took it into consideration and dismissed two ministers: Bihar Governor KN Tripathi
• After Lok Sabha polls, I expressed my wish to tender resignation, but party members were not in favor of this: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• The ugly politics played by BJP had never before been witnessed in Bihar: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• We will try to regain the trust of Bihar's people: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• If need be, we will hold a parade of MLAs (show of strength) as well: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• All party MLAs are here for the media to question: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• But I am someone who leads from the front: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• I never interfered in Manjhi's work: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• Party workers were growing restless under Manjhi: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• People of Bihar were worried under Jitan Ram Manjhi's chief ministership: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• I had been working hard to resolve the crisis in Bihar: Nitish Kumar (JDU)
• Nitish Kumar puts the blame on BJP for the situation in Bihar.
• And I think Lalu Prasad Yadav plays a major role here: Nand Kishore Yadav (BJP)
• Nitish ji knows he can't come to power, so he is attempting to be in power for least 6 months: Nand Kishore Yadav (BJP)
• Bihar political turmoil likely to be on agenda as BJP President Amit Shah, senior party leaders Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley meet PM Narendra Modi at 7 RCR for BJP core group meeting.
• BJP in favour of polls :Sushil Kumar Modi
• This is Nitish Kumar's fifth mistake. Every decision that he made has boomeranged: Sushil Kumar Modi (BJP)
• We are keeping a tab on every minute’s happening there: Sushil Kumar Modi (BJP)
• Nitish Kumar had made Jitan Ram Manjhi as CM, then what went wrong?: Sushil Kumar Modi (BJP)
• We request the President and the Governor to kindly not pay heed to the recommendation for dissolution of the government: PK Shahi (JDU)
• JDU MLAs elect Nitish Kumar leader of party by 97 MLAs and 20 MLCs.
• ANI reports that Bihar ministers supporting Nitish Kumar have sent a fax to Bihar Governor KN Tripathi and to President Pranab Mukherjee saying CM Jitan Ram Manjhi recommended Assembly dissolution without cabinet majority.
• Present situation in Bihar can be attributed to desperation of Nitish Kumar to be in power: Rajiv Pratap Rudy (BJP)
• Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi to reach Delhi by the evening, says ANI.
• JDU has the main responsibility to give Bihar a secular government, but the internal politics within party is ruining all prospects: PC Chacko (Congress)
• This is some kind of an internal bitter fight, not a political issue. It may be some ego issue: PC Chacko (Congress)
• BJP's Rameshwar Chaurasia blames Nitish Kumar for the political turmoil in Bihar, and says, "Naach na jaane aangan tedha, yehi haal Nitish ji ka hai."
• CM Jitan Ram Manjhi had written to the Governor recommending dismissal of ministers Rajiv Ranjan Singh and PK Shahi.
• Bihar Governor KN Tripathi confirms that two Janata Dal (United) minister have been dismissed.
• BJP demands early elections in Bihar.
• Jitan Ram Manjhi not present at the JD(U) meet.
• Nitish Kumar present at the JD(U) MLAs meeting.
• Bihar Governor has accepted CM Manjhi's recommendation for dismissal of Rajiv Ranjan Singh and PK Shahi as ministers, reports ANI.
• BJP Bihar in-charge Bhupinder Yadav meeting BJP President Amit Shah, reports ANI.
• Nitish vouched for Manjhi ji and he is now insulting him: Shahnawaz Hussain (BJP)
• Nitish Kumar ended alliance with BJP: Shahnawaz Hussain (BJP)
• Nitish Kumar is responsible for the political crisis in Bihar: Shahnawaz Hussain (BJP)
• Only 7 ministers supported it, all others rejected: Bijendra Yadav, JD(U)
• Proposal of authorizing Bihar CM to dissolve State Assembly was introduced :Bijendra Yadav, JD(U)
• 21 ministers rejected the proposal to dissolve the Bihar assembly.
• ANI reports that 7 ministers supported Jitan Ram Manjhi's recommendation of dissolution of Bihar assembly.
• MLAs supporting Jitan Majhi to boycott meeting called by Nitish Kumar.
• MLAs that support Nitish Kumar meeting today at 4PM in Patna.
• Bijendra Yadav added that 21 pro-Nitish Kumar ministers opposed the move to dissolve the Assembly.
• Finance Minister Bijendra Yadav informed that only seven ministers supported the proposal, .
• The proposal was floated at the Cabinet meeting.
• Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi has proposed the dissolution of Bihar Legislative Assembly.
Earlier, amid indications that the JD(U) leadership has quelled the rebellion led by Manjhi by making him agree to make way for the return of Nitish Kumar as the chief minister, the situation had turned fluid again after Governor Tripathi accepted Manjhi's recommendation to dismiss two ministers -- Rajiv Ranjan Singh Lallan and PK Shahi.
Manjhi had written to the Governor, yesterday, saying their activities were not in the best interest of the government.
Manjhi today met Nitish Kumar at the latter's residence amid pressure from the party leadership not to create a split in the party.
Earlier in the day, the JD(U) had made it clear that it was not willing to concede space to Manjhi over the issue. Senior leader KC Tyagi declared that Nitish will take over as CM after Manjhi steps down.
“Manjhi is himself responsible for his downfall. As soon as he vacates the CM's post, automatically other posts will be vacated too,” Tyagi said.
Manjhi enjoys the support of over a dozen party legislators and he is banking on the support of the BJP, which is openly backing him.
Nitish Kumar is yet to say anything about the ongoing developments in the party.
The JD-U has 115 legislators in the 243-member Assembly.
It is supported by 24 legislators of Lalu Prasad`s Rashtriya Janata Dal, five of the Congress, one from the Communist Party of India and two Independents, making it a total of 147 -- more than the 122 needed for simple majority.
The BJP has 88 legislators and has the support of three Independents. Five seats are vacant.