Bihar poll schedule expected anytime soon
New Delhi: The schedule for the Assembly elections in Bihar is expected to be announced anytime.
"The possibility of the schedule being announced today or tomorrow is not ruled out," EC sources said adding that the process of finalising the exercise is on.
Bihar is the only state witnessing Assembly polls this year. The term of the 243-member Assembly will end on November 27.
This will be the first election after SY Quraishi took over as the Chief Election Commissioner.
Reports had it earlier that the Government was in favour of holding Assembly elections in the state after the Commonwealth Games, scheduled here early next month.
The election is expected to be a triangular affair with the ruling JD(U)-BJP continuing their poll alliance and Lalu Prasad`s RJD and Ram Vilas Paswan`s LJP joining hands to oust it from power. The Congress has announced it would go it alone in the state, unlike in the past when it played a second fiddle to RJD.
Overcoming the last-minute hiccups, RJD and LJP have clinched an alliance and decided to contest 168 and 75 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez