Bihar poll schedule expected anytime soon
New Delhi: The schedule for the Assembly elections in Bihar is expected to be announced anytime.
"The possibility of the schedule being announced today or tomorrow is not ruled out," EC sources said adding that the process of finalising the exercise is on.
Bihar is the only state witnessing Assembly polls this year. The term of the 243-member Assembly will end on November 27.
This will be the first election after SY Quraishi took over as the Chief Election Commissioner.
Reports had it earlier that the Government was in favour of holding Assembly elections in the state after the Commonwealth Games, scheduled here early next month.
The election is expected to be a triangular affair with the ruling JD(U)-BJP continuing their poll alliance and Lalu Prasad`s RJD and Ram Vilas Paswan`s LJP joining hands to oust it from power. The Congress has announced it would go it alone in the state, unlike in the past when it played a second fiddle to RJD.
Overcoming the last-minute hiccups, RJD and LJP have clinched an alliance and decided to contest 168 and 75 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon