Bihar principal secy (Home) issued notice in HR vi
Patna: Taking exception to imprisonment of a
man for over 15 months in a case in which he was acquitted
eight years ago, the Bihar Human Rights Commission today
issued notice to the principal secretary (Home) to explain why
compensation should not be awarded.
Commission Chairman Justice (retd) S N Jha passed the
order on an application filed by Yugal Mochi, a resident of
Banauli village under Paliganj police station area in Patna
Mochi alleged that he was re-arrested and imprisoned for
over 15 months from May 27, 2009 to August 30, 2010 in a
murder case of a fellow villager in which he was acquitted by
a lower court on July 10, 2003.
Jha rejected the district and session judge`s report
defending the arrest and imprisonment of the applicant on the
ground that he was a declared absconder in the charge sheet
filed by the prosecution.
Brushing aside the plea of the the district and session
judge that the applicant did not inform the court about his
acquittal in the case, Jha said it was difficult to accept as
Mochi would have disclosed the fact to the court if he had
been produced before the magistrate after his arrest on May
"No person of even below average intelligence would
refrain from divulging this fact," he said.
He observed that Mochi`s arrest was totally unwarranted
and illegal as the permanent warrant of arrest against the
applicant was rendered infructuous after his acquittal on July
10, 2003 by a court.
Jha said that the commission could not give back the
period spend by the applicant in prison, but he could be
suitably compensated for deprivation of his right to liberty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!