Bihar records highest growth among states at 11.44% in 2008-09
New Delhi: It may surprise many that
economically backward Bihar emerged as the fastest growing
state clocking a 11.44 per cent growth rate during 2008-09.
Among the 18 states and Union Territories of which
data is available, Bihar recorded the highest State Gross
Domestic Product (SGDP) in a year when the global financial
meltdown pulled down country`s economic growth rate to 6.7 per
cent from 9 per cent.
According to a recent report compiled by the Central
Statistical Organisation (CSO), which has data on 18 out of 32
states and Union Territories, Bihar recorded the highest
growth of 11.44 per cent in the last fiscal. Among the major
states, growth data was not available for Gujarat and
"Almost all states have provided their state GDP data
for 2007-08, but for the financial year 2008-09, about 8-10
states have provided the state GDP growth data", said Pronab
Sen, Chief Statistician of India and Secretary, Ministry of
Statistics and Programme Implementation.
He further clarified that the data is based on
information provided by the state themselves and it would be
not correct to attribute it to the CSO.
Madurai: The district administration on Monday
said that it would strictly implement the Supreme Court`s
direction and guidelines during the "Jallikattu" (taming the
bull) sport, to be organised at Alanganallur in connection
with Pongal festival here.
District Collector N Mathivanan told a meeting of the
organisers of the sport that the bulls participating in the
sport should be registered in advance, certified for their
physical fitness by veterinary doctors and the animal`s horns
should not be sharp.
"Using of drugs or steroitds will not be allowed. The
field should be broad enough to allow four players to tame a
bull. Only four players could participate at one point of time
against one bull", he told them.
The bulls should be released one by one with proper
interval. Double barricades would be installed to protect
spectators. A medical team should be kept ready to provide
treatment in case of any one getting gored and ambulances also
should be kept ready.
He asked the organisers to get PWD approval for the
spectators platform and asked them to deposit not less than Rs
two lakh. The animal welfare board staff should be accommodated
at vantage positions to observe the sport and ensure that
bulls were not ill treated.
District Superintendent of Police Manoharan, DRO Dinesh
Oliver Ponraj also attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow