Bihar records highest growth among states at 11.44% in 2008-09
New Delhi: It may surprise many that
economically backward Bihar emerged as the fastest growing
state clocking a 11.44 per cent growth rate during 2008-09.
Among the 18 states and Union Territories of which
data is available, Bihar recorded the highest State Gross
Domestic Product (SGDP) in a year when the global financial
meltdown pulled down country`s economic growth rate to 6.7 per
cent from 9 per cent.
According to a recent report compiled by the Central
Statistical Organisation (CSO), which has data on 18 out of 32
states and Union Territories, Bihar recorded the highest
growth of 11.44 per cent in the last fiscal. Among the major
states, growth data was not available for Gujarat and
"Almost all states have provided their state GDP data
for 2007-08, but for the financial year 2008-09, about 8-10
states have provided the state GDP growth data", said Pronab
Sen, Chief Statistician of India and Secretary, Ministry of
Statistics and Programme Implementation.
He further clarified that the data is based on
information provided by the state themselves and it would be
not correct to attribute it to the CSO.
Madurai: The district administration on Monday
said that it would strictly implement the Supreme Court`s
direction and guidelines during the "Jallikattu" (taming the
bull) sport, to be organised at Alanganallur in connection
with Pongal festival here.
District Collector N Mathivanan told a meeting of the
organisers of the sport that the bulls participating in the
sport should be registered in advance, certified for their
physical fitness by veterinary doctors and the animal`s horns
should not be sharp.
"Using of drugs or steroitds will not be allowed. The
field should be broad enough to allow four players to tame a
bull. Only four players could participate at one point of time
against one bull", he told them.
The bulls should be released one by one with proper
interval. Double barricades would be installed to protect
spectators. A medical team should be kept ready to provide
treatment in case of any one getting gored and ambulances also
should be kept ready.
He asked the organisers to get PWD approval for the
spectators platform and asked them to deposit not less than Rs
two lakh. The animal welfare board staff should be accommodated
at vantage positions to observe the sport and ensure that
bulls were not ill treated.
District Superintendent of Police Manoharan, DRO Dinesh
Oliver Ponraj also attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27