Bihar reports 156 deaths due to encephalitis
New Delhi: A total of 156 deaths due to encephalitis have been reported from Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district and other adjoining districts so far this year, Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said Friday.
Encephalitis is an acute inflammation of the brain. Symptoms include headache, fever and fatigue.
A maximum of 87 children fell prey to the disease in Muzaffarpur, Harsh Vardhan said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
Other districts where deaths due to encephalitis were reported are Sitamarhi, Vaishali, Sheohar, Samastipur and West Champaran.
The minister said the government has launched a multi-pronged strategy in five states where the maximum number of encephalitis cases were reported, including Bihar.
Under this, 60 districts in the country have been identified, the health minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video