Bihar scam: Court to hear plea against CBI probe
Patna: The Patna High Court is set to hear Thursday the Bihar government`s plea to review the court`s decision for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into irregularities of Rs.11,412 crore in the state.
In a suit filed Monday, the state government said the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report, which alleged financial irregularities in execution of several development schemes, was under consideration before the state legislature.
Hence, an inquiry by the CBI was not permitted by the constitution, it added.
After hearing a public suit on the issue last week, a division bench of Chief Justice RM Doshit and Justice SK Katariyar handed over the probe to CBI.
The court observed that this was necessary as the accused in the case included the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister, ministers and top officials.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi are among the 47 people named in the complaint alleging irregularities of Rs.11,412 crore during 2002-08 in Bihar.
Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narain Choudhury Wednesday termed the High Court`s "interference" as unconstitutional and "the contempt of the House".
He said no court or any other agency can examine the withdrawal of Rs.11,412 crore until and unless the Public Accounts Committee of the Assembly, which is still scrutinising the CAG report, submits its report to the House.
The Bihar Assembly witnessed violent clashes between ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Opposition members in the last two days.
Sixty seven Opposition legislators were suspended Wednesday for unruly behaviour while demanding Nitish Kumar`s resignation over financial irregularities, prompting one of the members to throw a slipper at the Speaker.
Petitioner Arvind Kumar pointed at financial irregularities in the use of development funds during 2002-08 in Bihar.
The court has fixed July 26 as next hearing date in the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview