Bihar scam: Court to hear plea against CBI probe
Patna: The Patna High Court is set to hear Thursday the Bihar government`s plea to review the court`s decision for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into irregularities of Rs.11,412 crore in the state.
In a suit filed Monday, the state government said the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report, which alleged financial irregularities in execution of several development schemes, was under consideration before the state legislature.
Hence, an inquiry by the CBI was not permitted by the constitution, it added.
After hearing a public suit on the issue last week, a division bench of Chief Justice RM Doshit and Justice SK Katariyar handed over the probe to CBI.
The court observed that this was necessary as the accused in the case included the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister, ministers and top officials.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi are among the 47 people named in the complaint alleging irregularities of Rs.11,412 crore during 2002-08 in Bihar.
Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narain Choudhury Wednesday termed the High Court`s "interference" as unconstitutional and "the contempt of the House".
He said no court or any other agency can examine the withdrawal of Rs.11,412 crore until and unless the Public Accounts Committee of the Assembly, which is still scrutinising the CAG report, submits its report to the House.
The Bihar Assembly witnessed violent clashes between ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Opposition members in the last two days.
Sixty seven Opposition legislators were suspended Wednesday for unruly behaviour while demanding Nitish Kumar`s resignation over financial irregularities, prompting one of the members to throw a slipper at the Speaker.
Petitioner Arvind Kumar pointed at financial irregularities in the use of development funds during 2002-08 in Bihar.
The court has fixed July 26 as next hearing date in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!