Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals
Patna: In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government has sought cancellation of bail to 101 criminals, including politicians and gangsters convicted for murder, kidnapping, extortion and loot, police said Friday.
The state government moved to the Patna High Court, seeking bail cancellation of 101 criminals - among them former lawmaker Mohammad Shahabuddin, and notorious gangsters Awadesh Mandal, Kundal Singh, Omkarnath Singh and Ram Charitra Yadav.
Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Shahabuddin is currently lodged in Siwan prison, while Mandal, husband of ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Bima Bharti, is lodged in Purnia jail.
Counter-affidavits had been filed seeking bail cancellation of all of them, who were professional criminals and were involved in fresh cases even after coming out on bail, Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
"In view of this, the government sought cancellation of their bail," he said.
More than 70,000 criminals, including politicians and lawmakers, have been convicted and punished in Bihar, thanks to fast track trials, a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- ISIS terror module busted in Hyderabad; religious places were main targets, claims NIA
- Fed up of shifting matches, BCCI plans to build own stadium in Delhi: Report
- Modish beauty! Anushka Sharma goes black for 'Sultan' promotions
- EU meets without Britain for first time since Brexit vote
- US, South Korea, Japan hold first anti-North Korea missile drill