Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals
Patna: In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government has sought cancellation of bail to 101 criminals, including politicians and gangsters convicted for murder, kidnapping, extortion and loot, police said Friday.
The state government moved to the Patna High Court, seeking bail cancellation of 101 criminals - among them former lawmaker Mohammad Shahabuddin, and notorious gangsters Awadesh Mandal, Kundal Singh, Omkarnath Singh and Ram Charitra Yadav.
Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Shahabuddin is currently lodged in Siwan prison, while Mandal, husband of ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Bima Bharti, is lodged in Purnia jail.
Counter-affidavits had been filed seeking bail cancellation of all of them, who were professional criminals and were involved in fresh cases even after coming out on bail, Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
"In view of this, the government sought cancellation of their bail," he said.
More than 70,000 criminals, including politicians and lawmakers, have been convicted and punished in Bihar, thanks to fast track trials, a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred