Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals
Patna: In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government has sought cancellation of bail to 101 criminals, including politicians and gangsters convicted for murder, kidnapping, extortion and loot, police said Friday.
The state government moved to the Patna High Court, seeking bail cancellation of 101 criminals - among them former lawmaker Mohammad Shahabuddin, and notorious gangsters Awadesh Mandal, Kundal Singh, Omkarnath Singh and Ram Charitra Yadav.
Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Shahabuddin is currently lodged in Siwan prison, while Mandal, husband of ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Bima Bharti, is lodged in Purnia jail.
Counter-affidavits had been filed seeking bail cancellation of all of them, who were professional criminals and were involved in fresh cases even after coming out on bail, Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
"In view of this, the government sought cancellation of their bail," he said.
More than 70,000 criminals, including politicians and lawmakers, have been convicted and punished in Bihar, thanks to fast track trials, a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH