Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals
Patna: In a bid to check increasing crime, the Bihar government has sought cancellation of bail to 101 criminals, including politicians and gangsters convicted for murder, kidnapping, extortion and loot, police said Friday.
The state government moved to the Patna High Court, seeking bail cancellation of 101 criminals - among them former lawmaker Mohammad Shahabuddin, and notorious gangsters Awadesh Mandal, Kundal Singh, Omkarnath Singh and Ram Charitra Yadav.
Former Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MP Shahabuddin is currently lodged in Siwan prison, while Mandal, husband of ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Bima Bharti, is lodged in Purnia jail.
Counter-affidavits had been filed seeking bail cancellation of all of them, who were professional criminals and were involved in fresh cases even after coming out on bail, Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
"In view of this, the government sought cancellation of their bail," he said.
More than 70,000 criminals, including politicians and lawmakers, have been convicted and punished in Bihar, thanks to fast track trials, a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees