Bihar shocker: Woman stripped, beaten up in front of cops; CM orders probe
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Patna: In yet another shocking incident, a middle-aged woman was stripped and badly thrashed by some unidentified men at a village in Bihar`s Jehanabad district, just 50 kilometres away from the state capital, late on Wednesday night.
Media reports on Thursday said that the incident took place at around 1:30 am in the intervening night of July 16 and 17 when some unidentified people barged into the house of Sangita Devi and forced her out of house.
The attackers first vandalised her house and then stripped, kicked and punched the woman in front of her neighbours.
What is even more embarrassing is that the entire incident took place in presence of some local policemen, who did nothing to save the woman.
It has emerged that the woman was attacked in connection with the alleged kidnapping of a local youth Shakti Singh, who was involved in a land deal with Sangita Devi.
The attackers alleged that the woman was involved in the kidnapping.
The woman has sustained severe injuries and is being treated at the Bihar Medical College in Patna.
With the national media taking up the issue, the Jehanabad SSP has assured that action will be taken against all those involved in the incident.
The video footage of the incident will be examined by the police to identify the locals involved in the incident and appropriate action will be taken against them, the SSP said.
The issue also figured during the Bihar Assembly proceedings today. Also, the state chief minister has ordered a probe into the incident.
Meanwhile, Bihar unit chief of National Commission for Women (NCW) Anjum Aara has strongly condemned the incident and called for stringent action against the culprits.
Jehanabad Member of Parliament Arun Kumar has also criticised the incident and demanded strict action against those involved in it.
Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal (United) spokesperson Rajiv Ranjan has expressed shock over the barbaric incident and assured that his government will ensure speedy justice to the victim.
The incident once again raises the plight of women living in the rural areas of Bihar and UP where crime against them is on the rise despite several measures taken by the Central government to ensure their safety.
Few months back, two minor Dalit sisters were gang-raped and murdered in the Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh. The incident triggered a national outcry and evoked sharp criticism for the ruling Samajwadi Party government there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal