Bihar SOS to Centre on tackling bird flu
Patna: Bird flu or avian influenza is threatening Bihar`s poultry industry and an SOS has been sent to the central government on tackling the deadly H5N1 virus as the state lacks the resources to do so, a Bihar minister said.
The SOS was sent after the Bhopal-based High Security Animal Disease Laboratory (HSADL) attributed the deaths of a number of crows across the state to the H5N1 virus, Animal Husbandry Minister Giriraj Singh said.
"In January, samples were sent to HSADL. Last month it found bird flu of H5N1 grade behind the death of crows in the state," Singh said.
He said that the state government had sent an SOS to the central government to send a specialised team to Bihar for tackling the disease as the state lacks testing facilities.
"After it was confirmed that crows all over Bihar had died due to bird flu, it now poses a serious threat to the state`s poultry industry and is a danger to the human population also," an official of the health department said here.
The H5N1 bird flu is a highly communicable disease. It is also considered a pandemic threat across the world.
However, no alert has been sounded so far to prevent panic among the public, the official added.
At the same time, the animal husbandry department has asked the people not to touch dead crows. It has issued advertisements in local dailies asking people to keep away from the dead birds and inform the administration when they spot dead crows.
"Some measures have been taken to control the situation and check possible spread of any kind of infection. Human beings should stay away from the crows," the official said.
Most of the crows have died in Gaya, Banka, Nawada, Jamui, Bhagalpur, Munger and Aurangabad districts and the deaths are continuing.
Two months ago, neighbouring Jharkhand reported death of crows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?