Bihar starts process for seizure of wealth of liquor traders
Patna: Launching crackdown on spurious liquor trade network in the wake of serial hooch incidents that claimed more than 50 lives recently, the Bihar police has initiated process for confiscation of properties of a dozen of "big fish" in the business including brother of a RJD MLA.
"We have send proposals to state government seeking permission for attachment of properties of around 12 people who have amassed wealth from illegal liquor trade," Director General of Police (DGP) Abhyanand told PTI.
The list included Mantu Yadav, brother of RJD MLA from Belaganj Surendra Yadav, the DGP said.
Huge quantity of hooch pouches were recovered from the godown owned by Mantu Yadav in Gaya in raids conducted in the wake of death of 18 people, including women, due to drinking of spurious liquor early this month.
During search, documents were found which show that he owned houses in Goa, Uttrakhand and Delhi.
The Bihar DGP said the proposals for confiscation of properties have been sent as per provisions of Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1944 and Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
More than 50 people had lost lives in serial hooch incidents in Muzaffarpur, Ara and Gaya in last two months triggering tough action from the government.
Pained by the incidents, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a crackdown on hooch trade network including invoking provisions of property attachment as per Criminal Law Amendment Act and Excise Act.
Abhyanand said after acquiring permission from the government, the police would approach respective District Judge for confiscation of properties of the guilty.
The DGP said while the state should have earned Rs 4500 crore annually from taxes on liquor, presently only Rs 2000 crore is going into its kitty.
Attachment of properties has emerged as a lethal weapon in the hands of the state government in its fight against corruption.
Earlier, the government has confiscated properties of five officers, including former DGP Narayan Mishra and IAS officer S S Verma for allegedly amassing wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in