Bihar storm toll rises to 17
Bhabhua: Nine more deaths were reported from various districts of Bihar today, taking the toll in the thunderstorm and rains that lashed the state to 17.
Official sources said eight deaths were reported from
Kaimur, followed by four from Nalanda, two each from Gaya and
Nawada and one in Rohtas.
Thunderstorm accompanied by rains lashed Patna, Saran,
Muzaffarpur, Gaya, Jehanabad, Jamui, Munger, Darbhanga,
East Champaran, West Champaran, Kaimur and Rohtas districts
yesterday causing widespread damages to houses, crops and
uprooting hundreds of trees, the sources said.
Power supply and BSNL connectivity were disrupted and
rail traffic affected in large parts of Bihar.
This was the second storm in the state in a span of a
month. Last month, 93 people were killed and thousands of huts
destroyed when a tornado hit Araria, Purnia, Kishanganj,
Katihar and Supaul in Seemanchal belt in Bihar last month.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced an ex-gratia of
Rs 1.5 lakh, including Rs 50000 from CM Relief Fund to the kin
of each dead in the storm.
He asked the district authorities and state disaster
management department to intensify relief and rescue measures
in the affected areas.
He spoke to Union Minister for Science and Technology
Prithvi Raj Chouhan and asked him to depute a team of experts
to study the weather pattern in the state and take steps to
strengthen the meteorological office here.
Bihar, Kumar said, has been facing natural calamities
one after another and this time the intensity of the storm was
so strong that a bus overturned and goods trains wagons
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi