Bihar storm toll rises to 17
Bhabhua: Nine more deaths were reported from various districts of Bihar today, taking the toll in the thunderstorm and rains that lashed the state to 17.
Official sources said eight deaths were reported from
Kaimur, followed by four from Nalanda, two each from Gaya and
Nawada and one in Rohtas.
Thunderstorm accompanied by rains lashed Patna, Saran,
Muzaffarpur, Gaya, Jehanabad, Jamui, Munger, Darbhanga,
East Champaran, West Champaran, Kaimur and Rohtas districts
yesterday causing widespread damages to houses, crops and
uprooting hundreds of trees, the sources said.
Power supply and BSNL connectivity were disrupted and
rail traffic affected in large parts of Bihar.
This was the second storm in the state in a span of a
month. Last month, 93 people were killed and thousands of huts
destroyed when a tornado hit Araria, Purnia, Kishanganj,
Katihar and Supaul in Seemanchal belt in Bihar last month.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced an ex-gratia of
Rs 1.5 lakh, including Rs 50000 from CM Relief Fund to the kin
of each dead in the storm.
He asked the district authorities and state disaster
management department to intensify relief and rescue measures
in the affected areas.
He spoke to Union Minister for Science and Technology
Prithvi Raj Chouhan and asked him to depute a team of experts
to study the weather pattern in the state and take steps to
strengthen the meteorological office here.
Bihar, Kumar said, has been facing natural calamities
one after another and this time the intensity of the storm was
so strong that a bus overturned and goods trains wagons
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum