Bihar to constitute 10,000 self help groups for women: Nitish
Patna: The Bihar Legislative Assembly on Friday took a collective resolution for women`s empowerment with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announcing that his government has planned to form 10,000 self help groups (SHGs) to make women economically stronger.
Immediately after the end of Question Hour, Kumar made a suo motu statement congratulating women on International Women`s day today and repeated the state government`s resolve for women`s security and their economic empowerment.
The state government has taken several pioneering steps, including reserving 50 percent seats for women in panchayats and urban local bodies, he said.
In a bid to make women economically strong, the CM said the state government planned to form 10,000 self help groups for women in the next four to five years.
The CM`s assertions were welcomed by legislators, particularly the women MLAs with thumping of desk.
Soon after the CM concluded his speech, Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary said the House had taken a collective resolution for women empowerment.
The present Bihar Assembly has the highest number of 36 women MLAs in the 243-member House since Independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!