Bihar to constitute 10,000 self help groups for women: Nitish
Patna: The Bihar Legislative Assembly on Friday took a collective resolution for women`s empowerment with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announcing that his government has planned to form 10,000 self help groups (SHGs) to make women economically stronger.
Immediately after the end of Question Hour, Kumar made a suo motu statement congratulating women on International Women`s day today and repeated the state government`s resolve for women`s security and their economic empowerment.
The state government has taken several pioneering steps, including reserving 50 percent seats for women in panchayats and urban local bodies, he said.
In a bid to make women economically strong, the CM said the state government planned to form 10,000 self help groups for women in the next four to five years.
The CM`s assertions were welcomed by legislators, particularly the women MLAs with thumping of desk.
Soon after the CM concluded his speech, Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary said the House had taken a collective resolution for women empowerment.
The present Bihar Assembly has the highest number of 36 women MLAs in the 243-member House since Independence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living