Bihar to constitute 10,000 SHGs for women: Nitish
Patna: The Bihar Legislative Assembly Friday took a collective resolution for women`s empowerment with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announcing that his government has planned to form 10,000 self help groups (SHGs) to make women economically stronger.
Immediately after the end of Question Hour, Kumar made a suo motu statement congratulating women on International Women`s day today and repeated the state government`s resolve for women`s security and their economic empowerment.
The state government has taken several pioneering steps, including reserving 50 per cent seats for women in panchayats and urban local bodies, he said.
In a bid to make women economically strong, the CM said the state government planned to form 10,000 self help groups for women in the next four to five years.
The CM`s assertions were welcomed by legislators, particularly the women MLAs with thumping of desk.
Soon after the CM concluded his speech, Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary said the House had taken a collective resolution for women empowerment.
The present Bihar Assembly has the highest number of 36 women MLAs in the 243-member House since Independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games