Bihar to constitute 10,000 SHGs for women: Nitish
Patna: The Bihar Legislative Assembly Friday took a collective resolution for women`s empowerment with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announcing that his government has planned to form 10,000 self help groups (SHGs) to make women economically stronger.
Immediately after the end of Question Hour, Kumar made a suo motu statement congratulating women on International Women`s day today and repeated the state government`s resolve for women`s security and their economic empowerment.
The state government has taken several pioneering steps, including reserving 50 per cent seats for women in panchayats and urban local bodies, he said.
In a bid to make women economically strong, the CM said the state government planned to form 10,000 self help groups for women in the next four to five years.
The CM`s assertions were welcomed by legislators, particularly the women MLAs with thumping of desk.
Soon after the CM concluded his speech, Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary said the House had taken a collective resolution for women empowerment.
The present Bihar Assembly has the highest number of 36 women MLAs in the 243-member House since Independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers